Friday, October 17, 2008

Ian's Tribute to Alton

A wonderful remembrance of Alton Ellis from my friend Ian Martin in New York.

Alton was truly a preacher of peace. His works (songs) such as Dance Crasher, Don't Trouble People, Cry Tough, and Big Bad Boy, to name a few speaks volumes of a man that had been cast in the mold of a peacemaker.

Incidentally, I learned of Alton's death while attending the Excelsior Alumni Association USA Inc 39th Annual Dinner Dance held here in New York last Saturday evening. Alton's song Dance Crasher is and will always be part of my Excelsior's experience as long as I am clothed in my rightful mind.

During my first and second forms days at Excelsior as soon as classes for the day were completed, my classmates and I would hastily make our way to the music room. The piano would come alive with Dance Crasher until the older boys arrived. In fact, often times the older boys would oblige my classmate who played the piano to complete the gig.

Ironically, my classmate that played the piano was also an "Alton" albeit surnamed Clarke. As a matter of fact, I used to call him Alton Ellis. As I write, I picture Alton (classmate) sitting at the piano biting on his lips and banging Dance Crasher on the piano keys. Another favorite back then and especially from the older boys was America soul singer, Barbara Lyn's "Letter to Mommy and Daddy".

Back to Alton Ellis, despite him being exploited by so-called the powers that be of the music world, Alton remained a true messenger of peace and love.

The circumstances surrounding his death really came as surprise to me, seeing that it is only this past June he performed and with such energy by newspaper account.

Deepest sympathy to Alton's family, friends, and relatives. May Alton's soul rest in peace.

Oh dance crasher, oh-oh -oh oh dance crasher
Oh no no, don't break it up
Please don't make a fuss
Don't use a knife
To take another fellow's life

You'll be sorry, you'll be so sorry
You'll be sorry, let me tell you, ba-oooo
For there's a death sentence, ba-oooo
And you won't stand a chance, ba-oooo
And that will be your last dance, ba-oooo

Oh dance crasher, oh-oh -oh oh dance crasher
Oh no no, don't break it up
Please don't make a fuss
Go to a gym
And get yourself a trim

Be a clean fighter
'Stead of a dance crasher
Let me tell you, ba-oooo
Be a gentleman, ba-oooo
You could be a champion, ba-oooo
Like Mr. Bunny Grant, ba-oooo

Oh dance crasher, oh-oh -oh oh dance crasher
Oh no no, don't break it up
Please don't make a fuss
Go to a gym
And get yourself a trim

Be a clean fighter - prize fighter
'Stead of a dance crasher
Let me tell you, ba-oooo
Be a gentleman, ba-oooo
You could be a champion, ba-oooo
Like Mr. Bunny Grant, ba-oooo

Thank you Ian!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent tribute to Alton "Dance Crasher" Ellis, Mr. Ian Martin.ESTEBAN AGOSTO REID

    ReplyDelete