Letter from Emma Lewis
via Joan 'Joy' Grant Cummings
OUR WORK CONTINUES PAST THE 16 DAYS OF ACTIVISM, AND IN JAMAICA FOR EXAMPLE WE MUST BE RELENTLESS. LOOK AT THIS ONE POSTING FROM, EMMA to A NUMBER OF US IN THE 51% COALITION IN JAMAICA:
While writing a blog post the other day, it struck me that women and girls are victims - day in, day out it goes on. From five months to 84 years old. Here is a short and incomplete list from the past week ONLY:
- Jeneta Gordon (Miss Jenny) was raped and murdered by a man who climbed in her bedroom window. She was 84 years old. Bell Rock, St. Catherine.
- Alexia Brown was shot dead in Porto Bello, St. James, with her baby daughter in her arms. The 5 month-old girl later died in hospital.
- Chrissy Vaughan, 31, was shot in the head as she tried to drive away from a party in Bogue Village, St. James where gunfire had broken out
- Lena Powell (73) and her daughter Lisette (44) died in a fire in Craighead, Manchester after shots were heard. The police suspect arson/murder.
- Then, this morning about 5 minutes away from our house, the police blocked the road because of a crime (murder) scene. This was the reason:
icle/news/20161210/man-flees- after-allegedly-beating-ex- girlfriend-death#
I have not mentioned the 14 year old girl who was raped and then carried in the same police car as her rapist…who then "escaped" from the police station.
- Emma Lewis @Petchary