Tuesday, June 6, 2017

Remembering Captain Horace Burrell



It is hard to believe that Captain Horace Burrell who transformed the sport of football in Jamaica is no longer with us. What a mark he has made: his strong leadership of the Jamaica Football Federation took our team to the World Cup in France in 1998. He also made his 'Captain's Bakery' a household word, here and in Cayman.

Captain Burrell related to me a conversation he had with a passerby as he watched the construction of his new bakery in Cayman some years ago.

"The man asked me if I knew this Horace Burrell who was making this investment. When I responded that I was Horace Burrell, he could not hide his surprise." Horace laughed heartily.

I had the pleasure of teaching his son Romario in Sunday School - what a proud father Horace was!

In our various collaborations Horace was professional and accessible. The JFF was efficiently run under his watch. His impeccable appearance and deliberate manner of speaking give him a Garvey-like aura.

Rest in Peace Captain Horace Burrell. My condolence to his family and close friends.

Here is an excerpt from a column I wrote in the Jamaica Observer in 2013:


People like Captain Horace Burrell always make a statement - what a durable gentleman! The Captain announced the firing of his overseas staff members last week, explaining his 30-day-notice contract: "No performance. No job." Say what you want to say about Horace Burrell - he took us to France and I will always give him kudos for that shining moment in Jamaica's sporting history.

No comments:

Post a Comment