Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pictorial - 'I Shall Return' by Claude McKay

I Shall Return

by Claude McKay

I shall return again; I shall return
To laugh and love and watch with wonder-eyes


At golden noon the forest fires burn,
Wafting their blue-black smoke to sapphire skies.


I shall return to loiter by the streams
That bathe the brown blades of the bending grasses,
And realize once more my thousand dreams



Of waters rushing down the mountain passes.
I shall return to hear the fiddle and fife


Of village dances, dear delicious tunes
That stir the hidden depths of native life,
Stray melodies of dim remembered tunes.



I shall return, I shall return again,
To ease my mind of long, long years of pain. 

Born in Clarendon, Jamaica, Claude McKay (born Festus Claudius McKay) (September 15, 1889 – May 22, 1948) is one of Jamaica's greatest poets and novelists. He travelled widely and was a seminal figure in the Harlem Renaissance. McKay wrote three novels: Home to Harlem (1928), a best-seller which won the Harmon Gold Award for Literature, Banjo (1929), and the nostalgic Banana Bottom (1933). McKay also authored a collection of short stories, Gingertown (1932), and two autobiographical books, A Long Way from Home (1937) and Harlem: Negro Metropolis (1940). His book of poetry, Harlem Shadows (1922) was among the first books published during the Harlem Renaissance. His book of collected poems, Selected Poems (1953), was published posthumously. 

No comments:

Post a Comment